Setting Expiration Date for Gift Cards, Account Credits and Referral Rewards
Occasion gives you the ability to automatically set expiration dates for any type of credit issued. Examples of credits would be Gift Cards purchased, Account Credits issued, or Referral Rewards sent.
In this article, we will cover:
- Setting expiration dates on credits
- Changing the expiration date on a specific credit
- Emails sent to customers when a credit is expiring (along with an example)
- Common questions
Setting Expiration Dates Overall
To set expiration dates
- Once logged into your Occasion Workspace
- Click this link or Go to Settings (left navigation) > Account Settings > "Your Business" and then, "Credit Expiration"
- Click "edit" next to Credit, where you wish to set expirations.
Expiration dates are set as a number of number of days since they are issued.
Say, you want to expire a gift cards 2 years after they are issued. You will need to calculate the number of days in two years i.e. 2 x 365 = 730 days.
- Enter the number of days for each of your credit types. Leaving the field empty will automatically make allow credits to never expire.
- Click "Save" to save your settings.
Setting a New Expiration Date for a specific credit
To set a new expiration date for one gift card - go to Gift Cards. Search for the correct code and select "Show Gift Card".
In the top right corner of the screen, you will notice a button called "Set New Expiration". Once selected, a calendar will pop up to select a new date. Once the new date is selected, the page will automatically refresh and save.
Email Associated with Credits Expiration
In addition to the original email sent to the credit recipient, an expiration reminder email is sent to the recipient on the following schedule.
|Time gap between issuance and expiration date||Expiration Reminder Email Sent...|
|30 days or more||30th day before credit expires|
|30 days or less||Never|
Here's an example of the expiration reminder email in which a gift card is about to expire:
- What is the difference between Account Credits, Referral Rewards, and Gift Cards?
- Each type of credit is used in the same way, where each has a similar code that can be applied to orders. The difference is how each credit is created.
- How can you tell the difference between each credit by looking at the code?
- Gift card codes end in "1"
- Account credit codes end in "2"
- Referral reward codes end in "3".
- How to not send customers a reminder notification when their credits are expiring?
- The simple answer is no, automated reminder emails sent to your customers are away of providing proof, validation and serve as a reminder to customers as it contains information about the transaction, such as the date, time, and gift card code etc.
- However, reach out to our team (email@example.com) with your use case, if you want it turned off, so we can add that to our roadmap.